Friday, June 6, 2008

Lemon Heaven



One of my favorite things about the onset of summer is the lemon. As soon as the warm weather hits, I try to keep lemons around for different recipes. I must admit I've been going a little crazy with the lemons lately. There is something about the fresh tartness, and the sunny, bright, yellow color that makes them perfect for zesting up any recipe. I've been making lemon herb rice, lemon chicken, homemade lemon bars, lemon jello cake, lemon-berry muffins, freshly squeezed lemonade,( good thing my family likes lemon also) but yesterday morning I came up with something that I'm going to name, Lemon Heaven. Seriously. When you take the first bite, you will think you died and went to heaven. And when you take the last bite you will wish you had more room in your stomach.
I took a regular crepe recipe and tweeked it a little, then I came up with a filling, and a glaze. I didn't really measure anything as I was making the filling or glaze, so I put down the measurements as well as I could remember them. If they don't come out perfect, I'm sorry. Maybe you can just come over for breakfast sometime and I will make them for you.

Crepes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
2 Tbs. butter melted
1 tsp. lemon extract
2 large eggs
zest from 1 lemon

-Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Beat with hand beater until smooth.
-Lightly butter 8 to 12 inch skillet. Heat over medium heat until bubbly.
-For each crepe, pour scant 1/2 cup batter into skillet. Immediately rotate skillet until thin film covers bottom. Cook until light brown. Run wide spatula around edge to loosen; turn and cook other side until light brown.
-Stack crepes, placing placing waxed paper between each one, and keep covered.

Filling

1 1/2 pkg. cream cheese
1 tsp. real vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix in bowl until smooth. Spread thinly over each crepe. Roll crepes thin.


Glaze

juice from 2 lemons, strained
zest from 1 lemon
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cold water
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 or 2 drops yellow food coloring ( optional )

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan. Begin heating over
medium high heat. Whisk water with the cornstarch and add to
lemon mixture whisking lightly to mix. When mixture begins to thicken,
remove from heat and cool for a few minutes. Add food coloring (if desired) and stir. 
Drizzle over filled crepes.

Enjoy!







2 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds delicious! I'm impressesd that with all of those kids you still have time to experiment. Sometimes I don't feel like I have time or energy to do much experimenting with cooking anymore. I used to love cooking. Times have changed a little big around our house I guess. :-) I think I'll just come over for breakfast sometime. LOL

paintlady said...

try saying that fast 5 times